Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ready For Adventure

"Well, I'm off again," he said! "Off around the world! Don't hold dinner for me!" I leave for China in five days, and I'm in that familiar state of pre-trip hysteria, drawing up lists of what to pack, checking off to-dos, trying to anticipate anything that could possibly happen in the next month, and forgetting all about living meanwhile.

Where I am now...

...and where I'll be very soon.

This wild China adventure began when the National Centre for the Performing Arts announced--sensibly enough, if you ask me--that their 2013 Forum would be over the Wagner Bicentennial week, May 22. The NCPA invited my boss at Seattle Opera, Speight Jenkins, to return to the Forum (which he also attended last year) to speak about Wagner; but because we have an important Wagner-related public event in Seattle that week, he asked me to go to China in his place. It wasn't hard to convince me to go. In my most ambitious moments in life so far, I had wanted to create a mighty Wagner biopic, pitched as Amadeus meets Lord of the Rings, for this bicentennial year. That project did not get beyond a screenplay and a remarkable staged reading, some years ago (details in other blogs!). So what was this fate, that was now offering me an opportunity to celebrate this bicentennial by planting the Wagner flag firmly at an important opera house where there has yet to be a production of Wagner's Ring?

I'll be in Beijing for a week, traveling with the remarkable Kelly Tweeddale, Seattle Opera's Executive Director--not just a mentor but a role model. Can I blame Kelly for how obsessive I've become about bicycling these past few years? She and another Seattle Opera colleague got in shape and biked the great STP, the Seattle-to-Portland, a few years back. I had wanted to join them, but ended up smashing a lot of bones in my hand, in my only-ever bicycling accident, in May just when the training was ramping up. So I missed that '09 STP; missed it again in '10, due to a heavy workload; and succeeded beyond my wildest dreams when I finally rode it in '11. By then I was hooked on bike touring, and went riding in southern England that summer, and in '12 to every corner of Puget Sound.

Following a lead in Lonely Planet, I am connected to a company called "Bike China," who have arranged a great trek with me along the Yangzi following my week in Beijing, from Chongqing to the Three Gorges Dam. Not sure exactly what to expect, but I've tried to get in shape and I am as ready as I'll ever be. My stay in China concludes with a few days in Shanghai as a stand-alone tourist.

More soon, perhaps even before the trip begins! I know it will be good to be on the move again. After all, the road goes ever ever on...

1 comment:

  1. EFFECTIVE AND MOST POWERFUL 24 HOURS LOVE SPELL CASTER 2020


    I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 7 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she introduced me to a spell caster, Dr gbojie, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately, i contacted Dr gbojie and he explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 2 weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins Girl and a boy,so all thanks to Dr gbojie you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here, whatsapp him now +2349066410185 or email him : gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com
    Website : http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

    ReplyDelete